Sunday 3 September 2017

The Readers Den Weekly Wrap Up #8

Hello everyone, so sorry for not keeping up with these posts in a while, I know Rachel shared a catch up with you guys recently, I had family visiting so couldn't post for a while, but Rachel and I really enjoy sharing these posts with you, so here's hoping we can go back to making this a regular thing on the blog!

WHAT I READ/REVIEWED 

Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).


Not one of the greatest reading weeks for me, the above books were two and three star ratings for me, I was a little disappointed with Rhythm, Chord and Malykhin as I've been such a fan of Zapata's books in the past. And it seems like I'm a black sheep when it comes to Reid's books. On a more positive note, I started Irresistible You by Kate Meader and I'm loving the heck out of it! 




Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


I had a great reading week! I loved Changless up until the 90% and then I was fuming!  There's a cliffhanger, but fortunately the whole series is out and I can pick up the next book soon.  The story is hilarious and the audio is fantastic!  The Good Daughter was amazing! I just discovered Karin Slaughter and read her Will Trent series one right after next. Sooo, so good! Part Time Cowboy was a fun romance and audio. More emotional depth than I expected. I'll get to the next one soon.  The Duchess Deal was clever, funny and touching.  Tessa Dare is one of my all-time favorite historical romance writers!

BOOKS RECEIVED 
Jasprit 
(Click on title for Goodreads link)


Ever since I heard about Wonder Woman I knew I had to get my hands on a copy, the cover is just gorgeous! And I definitely need to try and make time to read it soon! And it feels like such a long time since I last read a book by Katie West, I'm in the mood for something cute and fluffy, so I think both of these books will be right up my street!

Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)



I loved the first Iris Ballard mystery last year so I'm looking forward to Darkness at the Edge of Town.  I've read two Kristan Higgins books, one I really liked the other not so much. Now That You Mention It sounds exactly like my kind of story, though, so we'll see. Susan Mallery's writing has been described as sort of like Robyn Carr, and I love her stories!  I saw a great review for A Gentleman Never Surrenders over on Alyssa's blog so I quickly snatched it up on Netgalley.


NEW TO MY TBR
Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link)


It feels like so long that I've read a book by Ally Carter, I adored her Heist Society series, and when I heard about Not if I Save You First I added it to my to read list immediately!


Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)



I've just started the audio of The Forgotten Girls. The narrator is not using a Danish accent (the story is set in Denmark) so that's a little odd, but still, it's pretty good so far. I want to continue The Copper Ridge series by Maisey Yates after enjoying Part Time Cowboy. I'm not usually into Romeo/Juliet romances, but my friend Brandie loved this one so I put in a request at the library for an audio copy.

WHAT I'M WATCHING:
Jasprit 



I'm finally getting back to Game of Thrones, I stopped watching it after Season 4, but after so many people told me to get back on it, I just knew I had to give it a go. I had to stay away from social media this week because of spoilers for Season 7, I'm hoping to be up to date with this show soon, I just hope it doesn't break my heart again like it usually does! 



Rachel:

I'm still on my Longmire and Justified series binge.  I switch back and forth, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to watch TV lately.

EVENTS OF THE WEEK
Jasprit 




I finally went to an author event, it seems like the last one I went to was years ago! There's never that many signings or events where I live, so I usually have to travel to see some great authors. I was happy to find out that Victoria Aveyard was doing a signing nearby and I wasn't working for once either! Victoria was absolutely lovely to chat to, despite me being a nervous wreck as I usually am when I meet famous people (at one point Victoria waved at me when walking past and I just stood there doing nothing back!). 

Rachel:

https://www.motivrunning.com/healdsburg-wine-country-halfmarathon/
I signed up for a Half Marathon in Wine Country! This is the 1st marathon I'll be running even though I signed up and trained for one last year. I had to bow out because I got deathly ill two weeks before the event. 
13.1 miles is a big deal for me, because historically I've hated running, but now I find it addictive! I'll be into my third week training tomorrow (Sunday).  This is one of the reasons I haven't much time for reading or TV watching. I viewed the course with Google Maps street view and it looks beautiful! I'm both nervous and excited!


How was your week?

17 comments:

Test said...

Jasprit - I'm sorry to hear you didn't have the best of reading weeks. :( Kasie West's book are always super sweet and cute so hopefully they'll give you some higher star ratings! I'm excited for Ally's new book too. When I saw the announcement I may have screamed a little. *Fingers crossed* it will be as good as her other books.

Rachel - I've been wanting to try The Good Daughter so I'm happy to hear it's amazing! I've read some of Kristan Higgins's older books and really enjoyed, but I've heard mixed things about her newer books. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on Now That You Mention It. Good luck with your continued training! Running is something I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the after feeling, but getting myself pumped up to actually run is so hard.

Have a great week, Rachel & Jasprit!

Nick said...

Jasprit: Aww, I'm really sorry you haven't had such a good reading week. I've read on book by Penny Reid that I liked, but I don't feel motivated to read her other stuff. But I'm glad you're liking Irresistible You! Hope you wind up enjoying that one.

I loved Wonder Woman! It was so much fun, and totally a book about friendship and girl power. I think you're going to like it. I haven't been feeling a lot of KW's recent reads, but I did get Love, Life too. I'm hoping it will be a good one.

UGH. GoT. Everyone and their mother watches that show and I feel so left out. I don't really like anything other than comedies, so I don't know how I would feel about it, but I should give it a try.

Rachel: The Good Daughter and The Duchess Deal! I loved those two books so much two. I'm glad you did as well.

I'm curious about the Lauren Smith book in your TBR. I'll keep an eye out for your review of it, so I can decide if I want it or not.

Wow! That marathon sounds like so much fun, Rachel. Good luck with it! :)

I hope you both have wonderful weeks ahead. Happy reading! :)

tthepageturner said...

Oh wow, that's so weird I stopped watching GOT after season 4 as well.

However, I decided to give it another go yesterday, haha.

I've only read one Penny Reid book, Attraction, have you read it?

It was quite a fun read, quick to get through, too. :)

Karen said...

So many great books there! I love Reid and Yates and want to try Kasie West and the Wonder Woman story.

For What It's Worth

Jasprit said...

Hey Renu, no I haven't read Attraction by Reid, I may have to check now to see what it's about! and oh my gosh if you though the first few seasons of GOT were insane wait until you get to season 6!

Jasprit said...

It did take me a while to get into GoT, but now I'm utterly addicted! It's not my typical sort of show either, like you I like my light hearted shows, but I do hope you end up enjoying it, if you decide to give it a go!

Blodeuedd said...

I gave up after s 1 ;) and then jumped in on 6. Did not feel I missed anything

Kindlemom said...

It is always hard to have low rating reads but, they make the four and five star ones all the better right? :P I'm so excited for the new West book, I just love her sweet stories and characters!

Sophia Rose said...

Glad to see the weekly posting. Fun to see what books you've been reading and acquired and what you're watching.

Rachel- gah, yes that ending on Changeless had me muttering too. :) Oh hey, I just got a Longmire mystery on Audible the other day.

Have a good week, ladies!

Rachel said...

I hope you love The Good Daughter as much as I did! I'm crossing my fingers the Kristan Higgins book is good. I've seen promising reactions. Thanks! I know, just getting out the door to exercise can be tough. I think working towards the marathon spurs me on a bit more because I know I have to run those miles! :)

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Oh the new Kasie West!! How fun! I see A Million Junes and I adored that book so much. I just binged GoT this year and am now obsessed!! So good. Good luck training. Have a great week!!

Greg said...

Karin Slaughter is an author I may try soon, I seem to be reading thrillers more than anything else lately. The Wonder Woman book looks good, and so does the Ally Carter book (I've heard her books are fun).

Rachel- good luck with marathon training! And Jasprit- hope you enjoy Game of Thrones. I had to catch up on the show a while back too, I missed a couple seasons.

Samantha@WLABB said...

I am so jealous of everyone who has the new Kasie West book. I adore her books, and am dying for the new one. I hope you enjoy it. A Million Junes is on my top 2017 list. Gosh, I love Emily Henry's writing. This book overwhelmed me in the best way! I am such a fan of Carriger as well. The Parasol Protectorate is still my favorite of her series. I just adored Alexia and Lord Maccon.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Good luck on the marathon - I'm SO not a runner!

Yay for book signings. I can't wait to go to another one; hopefully something soon!!

I really do want to read the Wonder Woman book. I'm excited that Batman's book is next.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Alyssa said...

Aw man, I'm sorry you haven't had the best luck in reading, Jasprit! Hopefully Wonder Woman and the West books will pull you out of the slump! I liked WW but Lucky in Love wasn't my favorite West book. I can't wait to read this be one though.

Rachel, in tickled pink to see the Lauren Smith book in your haul! It's short and sweet and satisfying - I really hope you like it. *bites nail*

Have a fabulous week, ladies! =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Brandie said...

Jasprit - I tried that Reid series and couldn't get into it, either. You're not alone! I thought I'd love anything about men with beards, but something about her writing just didn't do it for me. I need to try a Kasie West book - I hear good things!

Rachel - I hope you love A Million Junes!! And Now That You Mention It - I can't even begin to say how much I loved that book. Yay for the half marathon!! That one sounds so fun!! Good luck with your training!

Carina Olsen said...

Eee, love this recap :D You girls are so awesome. <3 So glad you are both doing great :) And ahh, I'm sorry those books were so awful Jasprit :\ Reading meh books are the worst. But yay for you have a great reading week Rachel :) And eee, Game of Thrones. I'm all caught up, and I love it so. Hope you will too sweetie :) Hope you are both doing great. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...